The Centre for Missional Leadership at St. Andrew’s Hall is pleased to offer the Certificate in Missional Leadership for congregational teams and individuals either in person or online with a new cohort beginning in September 2021. The three-year program has the overall focus of, “Forming and Reforming Communities of Christ in a Secular Age” with the first year specifically exploring “Missional foundations during Covid and Beyond”.
To register please contact CML Administrator Ms. Mavis Ho at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 604.822.9372
The aim of this program is to resource, strengthen and widen the ministry of the churches across denominations or networks. We will meet for four Saturdays (over seven months) as a learning community with church pastors, leaders and community developers. These sessions will start at 9:30 a.m. and end at 2:30 pm (Pacific Standard Time). Our premise for these learning sessions is that Covid has exposed and accelerated the need for shifts in our models of church developed during Christendom. For most churches, these shifts will involve a return to the local and toward a thicker and more porous shared life that takes the issues of your context seriously. We believe that this course of study for congregational teams of clergy and lay people can be a way of a helping your churches to envision a hopeful future. Topics to be discussed and explored (both in the session and through assigned exercises during the month that follows) will include:
September 18 – Understanding your Space and Place / Learning from Grandview’s thirty-year journey
Practice of reflection and prayer
- Understanding secularism and the powers we are up against – Tim Dickau
- Restoring your missional vision / the best of Darrell Guder
- Sharing Grandview’s journey of forming porous, thicker community. Dialogue with your neighbour or co-hort.
November 20– Developing a Thicker and More Porous Shared Life / Exploring housing and home
Meditation for Reflection: “Why I Still believe in the Church -Hope in the aftermath of Covid.”- Ross Lockhart
- Building a Theology of Community and Place – Tim Dickau
- Loving your Neighbours – three creative expressions
- Interview with Barry Jung and Karen Reed and Bernard Tam
- Housing and Home
Learning about Co:here housing and community houses
January 15 –Seeking the Kingdom of God / Making a Difference in your Context
Meditation: (Prayer for Justice)
- How a theology of the Kingdom holds together what has been torn apart (eg. prayer and justice, healing and prophetic action, faith and work)
- Communal Meals / sharing life with the poor – Karen Giesbrecht
- Creating Employment through Social Enterprise – Russell Pinson / justwork
- First Nations Reconciliation – Jodi Spargur
- Empowering Leadership
- Building a Theology of Leadership –Jason Byassee
- Cultivating Theological vision in a culture of pragmatism – Tim
March 19 – Evangelism and Discipleship
- Meditation: Theological Fuel – Reenergizing worn out words – Darrell Guder
- Gaining a Canadian Picture of Evangelism / Lessons to Learn – Ross Lockhart
- The story of Alpha / Finding your own creative forms to introduce people to the Way of Christ – Shaila Visser
- Discipleship – forming a community of persons – Tim Dickau
Next Steps for your community:
- In Evangelism
- In Discipleship
5. Next year
How much does it cost?
Most of the costs will be offset by the Centre for Missional Leadership, as we want to lower the obstacles that would keep people from participating. If you pay for four sessions at once, the total cost for all four sessions in Year One of the program:
- $250 per person ($200 for on-line)
- $500 for everyone if you come with a group (of up to five people) ($400 on-line)
- $75 for students (VST, Regent, SAH)
This fee includes both monthly lunches provided (for those in person) and one free consultation with Dr. Tim Dickau as the Certificate program director for every $500 group registration. This will be an opportunity to meet with Tim either in person or online for a two-hour discernment exercise. During that consultation, Tim will lead your leadership team through a visioning exercise with the goal of identifying next steps in your missional adventure.
To register please contact CML Administrator Ms. Mavis Ho at email@example.com or by calling 604.822.9372. Registration deadline is September 15th 2021.
As a bonus, for those who sign up AS A GROUP by September 1st, 2021 will receive a free copy of Forming Christian Communities in a Secular Age by Tim Dickau. https://biblescanada.com/forming-christian-communities
We are excited about this learning opportunity and believe it can be a catalyst for renewed vision and mission in your churches during this critical time.
Homework Assignments (example for September / about 2 ½ hours per session)
- Understanding and exegeting your neighborhood/Questions for your assignment.
Talk to one person you know who is not a part of your church. Explain that you are doing an assignment for a class trying to understand better people’s perceptions of churches.
- What do you appreciate most about neighbourhood (or city if you live in a smaller center)?
- What are two of the most important needs or lacks in your neighborhood?
- Do you think the church or churches in your neighborhood make a difference? If so, how?
2. Talk to another person in your neighborhood who is poorer or more marginalized than you. This may be someone who is economically, physically or socially isolated (even before Covid-19). Some of you may know or have friends or acquaintances in this situation. If you don’t, ask someone who does have a connection to someone in this situation. Get to know them.
Sample questions to ask them:
- What do you appreciate about our neighborhood?
- What challenges do you face living in this neighborhood?
- How could our church be of support to you?
- What gifts do you have that you contribute to other people?
3. Name 5 churches and 5 organizations that are making a difference for good in your neighborhood or city. Highlight one of them in the google doc for others to see in 50 words or less. If there is one that you are already collaborating with, highlight that group.
- Plunging into the king Way – Chapter 2
- The intentional Christian Community Handbook – Chapters 2-3